Thursday, July 06, 2006

The AC was Broken

At the beginning of the day, the upstairs AC was on the fritz, and, since my bedroom is upstairs, I was roasting. It was funny because the hot air was occupying a very large part of my mind, and while I was talking to Trav, I realized that, while I try to appreciate the things I have, my mind simply can't keep track of all of my blessings, and sometimes they have to break before I realize how much I like them. I never think about air conditioning, today it was the only thing on my mind. Thankfully, it's fixed now, and it has me thinking about the other things that I enjoy but rarely think about. Memories might be one. If I started to forget my adventures, I wouldn't be half the person I am today. My songs. If I lost them or forgot them, I would miss a part of me. Chapstick, my guitar case, clean socks, toothpaste, microwaves... Man, what would I do without the world around me?

I just got done looking at some photos of past exploits, and one set that particularly got to me was a photo-set taken of my Birthday last year. I choked up when I looked through and re-saw my surprise party and very unique, very sweet pie made especially for me. There were friends, balloons, and bubble gum all around, and I was the happiest person in an orange turtleneck to be found anywhere! I in a single moment, I remembered how wonderful that whole year was and how lucky I am to have been in a group of such wonderful people. Only the highest of quality. At the time, I wasn't even thinking about my birthday--my friends and I were having a blast, and that was most precious to me, and by far the most vivid part of the memory. Looking back, I realize how much love was frozen with the sugar in that pie and just how much appreciation was sizzled into my first ever succulent fillet mignon. I'm still reading a book I bought from Barns and Nobel that very day!

I can't help it, and it's undoubtedly selfish, but I always get a little sad every time I remember that most of those individuals, the ones in my pictures, aren't going to there with me at school this year. They're off to bigger things and new chapters, adventures that are new, exciting, and completely different from what they could get if they just stayed where they had been. It won't be long before I'm in the same boat, and perhaps I'm in that boat right now. Things change, no doubt, and The Good Ol' Days are always have a little more gold to them when we're looking at them though a photograph, but even though I thought I knew that while the memories were being made, it's still a bittersweet affair to look back on them. But it's far more sweet than bitter, I think.

1 comment:

Travis said...

I agree with you that it is difficult to look back at things and not want them to stay the same forever, but I think the irony is that what got you those things in the first place was your willingness to live in the moment and enjoy right where you were. For example, I think you have used your time very well in the last two years at Campbell because you were able to see each day and week as a new opportunity and chance to do crazy and incredible things. To plan a surprise birthday party for you was just as natural to all of us as was your willingness to cover Anna´s car in Valetine´s stuff, watch Saw in the basement of the Science Building and go camping in the middle of December with a group of crazy friends.
The boat you speak of at the end of your entry is one I think we are all in together, regardless of our locations. Whether Zoe is in Maryland, Anna and Danielle are in Greensboro, Josh and Shaw are in Greenville or Matt and Jana are in Winstom Salem, we can all still have great, new, fun adventures together and the question is still just the same one as it was before, "How far are you willing to go and what things are you willing to try, because here is your opportunity, today." I have always been impressed with how you have taken those opportunities to the max, whether it was in the SUV, becoming Secretary-Treasurer, or volunteering in the Haunted Trail. And if your future is anything like your past, I would say your bigger and newer chapters are going to really be something. I am, personally, quite pleased to be in that boat with you. Thanks Chase.

- Trav