Monday, June 27, 2005

Took it up to Campbell

Last Saturday was the final day of the first orientation at Campbell. I emailed a good friend of mine who takes summer classes of there was something productive I could do up there, but she didn't get back to me. Ha! Like I need to be productive to visit Campbell. Around 1:30 and a car exchange dance with my parents, I donned my bright orange Circle K shirt and hauled it on up to campus!

By the time I got there, everyone had basically left. I enjoyed a walk around campus and then started meeting people I knew when I hit the Post office. Of course, I also 'enjoyed' a $24 bill I found in my mailbox to be paid by the end of the month or my box is closed. Lucky I went up when I did. Otherwise, my PO box was filled to the brim with mail that wasn't mine, including a quite substantial library of victoria's Secret catalogs. Jealous much? Haha! Of course I threw them all away, but getting one's mailbox stuffed with other people's mail is pretty annoying. And it happens all year too.

At any rate, I met a friend in the Post office parking lot and talked to them all the way into the Oasis. The Oasis was ghost-town-saloon empty save for a sparse, sparse few. Like any other weekend at Campbell, really. I surprisingly enough, I met another friend in there working at the info desk--not Chris (sorry Travis), but a senior friend of mine who has graduated and won't be returning to the good ol' Campbell next semester. That part's kind of sad, but I therowly enjoyed the conversations with her and her friend. Also, toward the end of my visit, I talked to a straggling freshman and her family. I told her things like how to get to Cary and Goodberry's. If I'm not mistaken, I believe she's going to join the wondrous Goodberry's Frozen Custard Fan Club and maybe even Circle K! Score! The world needs more members of both.

I had work at 6:00, so I had to start leaving around 4:30 so I'd have a comfortable time cushion. I said goodbye to the Oasis (after having a number 18 Orange Wave and playing with a puppy) and made my way to have 'linner' at our brand spakin' new Chick-fil-A. The food was great, but it turns out that shop isn't doing to well and ended up having to fire most of it's staff because of it's sever lack of business. Apparently, opening up right before summer break was a bad idea. Oh well, hindsight is 20-20 so they say.

I also poked my head into the newly renovated Shouse dining hall. Very interesting it is. It can't wait to sit down and have a meal there. Most of the sitting space has been overcome by little individual tables with about four chairs to a table. In the back, though is the original cafeteria-style long table seating. I'm glad for that because sometimes you have more than three friends. Some parts of the design are a little tacky to me, but all in all, it's nice. And they've started doing what I can only imagine is a similar renovation to Marshbanks. It'll be interesting to see how that turns out.

I think now I'm going to call up and see if I can't be a UFO for the final Orientation. It sounds like a good fun and a productive excuse for a visit. ^_^d

No comments: