Friday, April 14, 2006

Google is Taking Over... My Heart.

It's amazing to me the stunning ability that Google has in making awesome ways to organize and share information. Thinking about where they'll go next, I can only imagine the kinds of services they will provide. Here are some things that have wowed me lately:

Google Desktop--I thought it was a gimmick, but it turns out to be one of the greatest information organizers I could have wished for, offering all manner of information an connectivity at your fingertips.

Google Calendar--With this new feature from Google, you can easily create a calendar of your events and even SHARE that calendar with the public or your friends. You can add all KINDS of calendars to yours of topics ranging from international holidays to Movie releases.

Wrightly--Not yet available, this program was recently bought by Google. It is an online word processor allowing people to upload documents from Word, co-edit documents in real time, store documents online, save to your desktop and much more. Since Google bought the company, I can only speculate as to what OTHER attractive features it will have before it's Google release. The only way to get an account for now is to find someone who already has one and ask for it. Unfortunately, I don't have one.

Google Book project
--Tired of the library? A bit too three dimensional for you? Google's Book project aims to digitize the worlds written knowledge into a search-able, invincible format. Search through copyrighted material and read entire volumes of the public domain! They have respected copyright laws while simultaneously allowing the public access to worlds of knowledge. Here's hoping the project goes off without a hitch.

Gmail--I could not praise Google without mentioning Gmail. This web-based email account has made my life better in ways I am only beginning to understand. Easy and simple to use, my entire archive of messages are all search-ready and retrievable, and with over two gigs of space, I'll never run out of message space.

Google Talk--In Gmail, I also have all of my Google Talk logs. Google talk is simple, reliable, add-free and quickly approaching a point of being better than AIM. It's Call feature is one of the most amazing things I have ever experienced and has MUCH better voice quality than a phone. The connection is instant, and best of all: it's all free. And why shouldn't it be? The company gets 12 cents per Google search!

There is more of course: Blogger, Google Maps, and the most comprehensive search available on the web. Thinking about it, Google is heading to a place of being much more efficient than Microsoft works and office. With a few more future programs, this will be the United States of Google, and you won't hear me complaining.

"Don't be evil."

The folks at Google have been hard at work making my life awesome since day one, so thank you Google. You're name is fun to say.

1 comment:

Travis said...

GREAT ENTRY! Amen! LOVE LIVE GOOGLE! *SALUTE*